- For defenders
- How can I help?
Digital Security and Privacy for Human Rights Defenders
Human rights defenders are increasingly using computers and the Internet in their work. Although access to technology is still a huge issue around the world, electronic means of storing and communicating information are getting more and more common in human rights organisations. However, governments are also developing the capacity to manipulate, monitor and subvert electronic information. Surveillance and censorship is growing and the lack of security for digitally stored or communicated information is becoming a major problem for human rights defenders in some countries.
In response to requests from human rights defenders for support in this area Front Line has developed a manual on Digital Security and Privacy for Human Rights Defenders (PDF version in English, Spanish and Vietnamese..
In collaboration with the Tactical Technology Collective Front Line has also developed a package of tools and guides called https://securityinabox.org/.
Front Line has also organised hands-on training workshops for human rights defenders from many countries among others: Belarus, Burma, Democratic Republic of Congo, Guatemala, India, Iraq, Jordan, Morocco, Russia, Syria, Tibet, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, Vietnam, Western Sahara, Yemen, Zimbabwe. Front Line trained trainers from many countries for more effective follow-up on digital security issues. Front Line is also consulting HR organisations in addressing digital security challenges. And is helping implementing security strategies through the Security Grants Program.
Please see the following resources for further information in relation to digital security:
- Security in-a-Box toolkit
- Digital Security and Privacy for Human Rights Defenders manual
- Anonymous Blogging with Wordpress and Tor (also version in: Chinese, French) by Global Voices Advocacy
- Blog for a Cause!: The Global Voices Guide of Blog Advocacy (also version in: Chinese, Spanish, French) by Global Voices Advocacy
- Handbook for Bloggers and Cyber-Dissidents (also version in: French, Chinese - Circumvent Censorship chapter, Chinese - Blog Anonymously chapter) by Reporters Without Borders
- Everyone's Guide to By-Passing Internet Censorship (also version in: Russian and Burmese) by CiviSec
- Protektor Manual a guide on using security related software on Windows, Mac OS and Linux.
Please also see following graphical resources:
- meet ONO the robot hero of Survival in the Digital Age, an animation series about digital security, online privacy and access to information.
- "Peif, the Pet Expert on Internet Filtering" - educational cartoon on digital security and online censorship.